"Investment in a major upgrade of Prospect building will transform the campus experience and better meet the needs of our modern campus community. A phased programme of works will result in enhanced learning and study spaces, creation of a dedicated Student Support Suite, an improved student Gateway to mirror that at City Campus and an enriched catering offer."
During the building work, where is the library entrance?
A temporary riverside entrance to St. Peter's Library will open on the lower floor (Level 0):
This will be the Prospect Building's main entrance while works continue. Please get in touch if you need assistance accessing the building.
Changes to access to stock from Monday 11 June
Until the works are completed:
• There will no longer be assisted-access through the top level - the temporary riverside entrance will be the only way in (for all building users)
• There will no longer be access to the lift (for all building users)
• Anyone able to use stairs will need to access the collections via the spiral staircases and the walkway between IT Suite 1 and the upper level.
Additional support is available for anyone with mobility impairment during the refurbishment works from Monday 11 June
Please contact a member of library staff within the Prospect building on 0191 515 3318 and we will meet you wherever you are within the building to assist you through or around areas affected by the refurbishment work.
Library staff will be able to assist with:
• collecting any resources required from sections 000-371.999 during staffed hours (access to the upper level will be by stairs only)
• managed access through the lower level 3 times per day from 9am-4pm Monday to Friday (collections 372- 699)
• retrieving any items you wish to borrow from either floor during staffed hours in advance for you - please let us know by contacting us before your visit
• searching for resources using our library website
• using printers and photocopiers
• finding a free PC on the lower level - access to IT Suite 1 will be by stairs only however, PCs, Macs, black and white and colour printing is available on the lower level
If driving, the quickest access route for mobility impaired users is to use the University carpark next to the National Glass Centre and then follow the path along the riverside (as this area is paved):
Imagery (c) 2018 Google. Map data (c) 2018 Google.
Can I still use the library?
Yes! St. Peter’s Library services will continue throughout this exciting redevelopment. Access to St. Peter’s Library services, support, and library collections held within the Prospect Building will be maintained throughout the duration of the redevelopment works.
• Opening hours: We will still offer both staffed and self-service hours, with 24/7 opening until June 1
• Collections: You can use our collections and borrow books as normal (ask us if you need help finding anything)
• Assignments: If you've been asked to hand in your assignment or pick up a marked assignment, you can do this at our temporary Library Help Point on the lower floor
• Computers: Our PCs and Macs will be available to use as normal. Assistive technology will be relocated to the lower floor next to the Library Help Point
• No guest PC access: Guest user access to fixed PCs may be available again from September 2018 - access at The Murray Library is unaffected
We will be sending regular updates through our Twitter and Facebook pages and on our library blog. Posters and digital signage will be in place throughout the building to keep you up-to-date with any updates to library access as the building redevelopment progresses.
Where will the helpdesk be located?
A temporary Library Help Point is open on the lower floor near the riverside entrance until the works are complete. Self-service machines, assistive technology, and reservations are also located here.
Will the opening hours change?
St. Peter’s Library opening hours will remain as advertised - see our opening hours on our website.
Will study skills support be available?
Our Liaison Librarian and Study Skills team will be located at The Murray Library during this period but will be available to meet with students and staff at the Sir Tom Cowie Campus at St. Peter's and can be contacted by e-mail, live chat, phone, and social media.
I know these aren't library services, but where can I find...
• Gateway Services? Reg Vardy Building, Room 206A
• Student Financial Advice? Reg Vardy Building, Room 206
• Catering? Reg Vardy Starbucks Coffee Shop (open until June 29, Monday to Friday 8:30am-3pm)