In order for us to ensure that you can access an appropriate range of e-resources in line with current publisher licensing permissions, we have made some changes to our authentication system.
If you cannot access a resource or if you see any error messages, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org. We will then verify that you have the correct permissions. To help speed up your enquiry, please let us know the e-resource you are trying to access and your library barcode number.
*Update July 24th* We are aware that an issue has arisen with our authentication system which appears to be affecting many students. We will prioritise fixing this issue as soon as possible; however, a fix is likely to be in place from Monday July 27th at the earliest. In the meantime, you can utilise Open Access resources which do not require an institutional account to access:
- Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) https://doaj.org/ - Lists over 7000 OA titles.
- Directory of Open Access Repositories (OpenDOAR) http://www.opendoar.org/ - A worldwide index of research repositories.
- Open and free content on JSTOR and Artstor https://about.jstor.org/oa-and-free/
- Open access e-books from Springer https://link.springer.com/search?package=openaccess&facet-content-type=%22Book%22&utm_source=springer&utm_medium=referral&utm_content=RMarketing&utm_campaign=BBKK_4_CE02_SpringerOABhometoSL
- Directory of Open Access Books (DOAB) http://www.doabooks.org/doab - Service of OAPEN Foundation based at the National Library in The Hague. This database contains more than 5,000 academic, peer-reviewed books from 163 publishers.
- HathiTrust Digital Library http://www.hathitrust.org/ - Partnership of academic and research institutions, offering a collection of millions of titles digitised from libraries around the world.
- National Academies Press Free eBooks http://www.nap.edu/books - Created by the National Academy of Sciences to publish the reports of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering and Medicine with more than 8,500 titles in PDF format.
- NCBI Bookshelf https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books - Provides free online access to books and documents in life science and healthcare.
- OAPEN Library http://www.oapen.org/home - Open Access Publishing in European Networks (OAPEN) Library contains freely accessible academic books, mainly in the area of humanities and social sciences.
- Open Book Publishers http://www.openbookpublishers.com/ - Founded in 2008 by a small group of academics at the University of Cambridge, Open Book Publishers publishes monographs and textbooks in the Humanities and Social Sciences. All books are available to read for free online.
- Project Gutenberg http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page - Offers over 53,000 free ebooks, most of which are primary source texts: choose among free epub books, free kindle books, download them or read them online.
Please always apply the same criteria you would use for evaluating the resources just as you would for resources in our collections.